All qualifying employers are required to prepare and submit annual (EE) employment equity plans. These plans must show the objectives, procedures and responsibilities, timetables and affirmative action measures that employees plan to implement.
The provisions for affirmative action apply to –
- employers with 50 or more workers or,
- organs of State;
- employers ordered to comply by a bargaining council agreement;
- any employers who volunteer to comply or
- employers with the following annual turnover:
Failure to comply with the provisions of the Employment Equity Act (which includes the submission of Reports and drafting of Plans) may lead to fines ranging from R1,5 million.
How can we assist employers to comply with the relevant legislation:
- Selection and appointment of an Employment Equity Committee (Sections 13, 16 and 17 of the Employment Equity Act as Amended).
- Appointment of Responsible Manager and committee members (Section 24)
- Consultations (Section 16 and 17)
- Attendance of at least 3 meetings as required by the Act.
- Orientation or training of Employment Equity Committee.
- Completion of EEA 1 Forms.
- Development of Employment Equity Committee Constitution and Dispute Procedure.
- Analysis of Policies, Procedure and Practices (Section 19 of the EE Act as Amended)
- Keeping of records (Section 26 of the Employment Equity Act as amended)
- Informing employees (Section 25 of the Employment Equity Act as amended)
- Development of an Employment Equity Policy.
- Defining Occupational levels (EEA 9).
- Demographic analysis, comparisons and goals (Section 19 and 20 of Act as amended)
- Development and implementation of an Employment Equity Plan (Section 20 of the EE Act as amended)
- Reporting EEA 2 and EEA 4 to the Department of Labour.
- Monitoring and revision (Section 34).
- Assessment of compliance (Section 42).
Due to the level of detail involved in the compilation of these plans, many companies prefer to outsource the process to an expert in this discipline. We are experienced professionals in relevant employment equity legislation as well as compilation of employment equity plans.